Thursday, January 14, 2010

What to feed hungry children?!

I don't have a large repertoire of kid friendly recipes, primarily because I'm really picky and I don't like a lot of typical family friendly fare... My kids are just used to what this mama makes! So I have already exhausted what I thought Evan & Emma would like: tacos, spaghetti, breakfast, my little cheddar meatloaves... We have a pizza/ movie night planned and my coup de grace is going to be boxed mac & cheese with hot dogs before we head to the airport on Saturday night. Well, that left ONE night...


Cynde suggested chicken drumsticks but I never did pick any up from the market so... what to do?! I reverted to a family favorite, feeling rather emboldened that I've had NO complaints all week long. Even every vegetable has been happily eaten!




I made Cajun Chicken Strips and Cornbread Casserole. And they loved it!!! (Even Emma who says she doesn't like corn...)


Super easy and quick!


Cajun Chicken Strips
1 T. flour
1 t. seasoned salt
3/4 t. garlic powder
1/2 t. paprika
1/4 t. pepper
1/8-1/4 t. cayenne pepper (I skip this with little kids)
1 1/2 lbs. boneless chicken breasts (cut into 1/2" strips)
2 T. butter
In a gallon sized Ziploc baggie, combine first 6 ingredients. Add chicken (1/2 at a time) and shake to coat. In skillet, cook coated chicken in butter 8-10 minutes.
(After making this recipe for more than 10 years, I just now figured out that I can mix up extra seasoning to store in the pantry. Seems I'm a bit slow!)




Cornbread Casserole
1 can (15 oz) whole kernel corn, drained
1 can (14 oz) cream style corn
1 pkg. (8 1/2 oz) cornbread/ muffin mix
1 egg
2 T. butter, melted
1/4 t. garlic powder (I add more!)
1/4 t. paprika (I add more of this also!)
Mix all ingredients. Pour into greased 11x7x2 baking dish. Bake uncovered at 400 degrees until tops and edges are golden brown (about 25-30 minutes).

No comments: