Saturday, March 27, 2010

My favorite meal...

Chicken pot pie is the ONLY pie Rhys will eat. It's a very popular meal around here. With the kiddos and their appetites getting bigger, the days of making one pot pie is disappearing! It leaves no leftovers & I'm certain everyone would have seconds if it were an option...
Did you know, chicken pot pie is a fabulous OAMC meal? Double your recipe & freeze one. It's no more work and the result is a spare dinner for another night. Good stuff!
My very complicated Chicken Pot Pie recipe:
Melt 1/3 c. butter in a large sauce pan. Add 1/3 c. flour~ stirring constantly for two minutes. Stir in 2 1/2 cups milk with a tablespoon of chicken base (or equivalent of chicken bullion)mixed in. Allow to simmer while stirring until thickened (few minutes). Add 2 cooked & diced chicken breasts. Stir in vegetables (corn, peas, green beans). If you're adding potatoes or carrots, be sure to cube them into small pieces and partially precook them. Pour into prepared pie crust or 9x13 pan. Top with 2nd crust or biscuits. Bake at 400 degrees until crust is golden brown or until biscuits are done.
Alternative idea: pour prepared filling over prepared biscuits. Yummy!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds tasty but mine is easier...store bought crust, canned chicken from Costco (think tuna only yummier), bag of frozen veggies, can of cream/chicken soup with a little milk, and my secret ingrediant (1/4 cup of parm. cheese). Mine never looks as pretty as yours though. And my kids hate it so more for me! SL

Wendy said...

THANKS again for all your help. My pies turned out so good! I delivered the first two and came home to eat our own. I loved it and will definitely make them again. :)