I should have snapped a picture BEFORE we dug into dinner tonight. Regardless, the photo doesn't do it justice. I am not a casserole fan. You know, with all that food touching... So, this was not a natural fit in my monthly menus. However, being the amazing wife that I am, I'm always on the lookout for recipes that I think Jason would really really like, in spite of my personal preferences.
This was one. And, it was a hit! Everyone agreed it was very good- even George. That's quite an accomplishment around here!
King Ranch Casserole (from Cook's Country Magazine)
- 12 (6 inch) corn tortillas
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 medium onions , chopped fine
- 2 jalapeno chiles, minced
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 (10 ounce) cans Ro-Tel tomatoes
- 5 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts, halved lengthwise and cut crosswise into 1/2 inch slices
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro
- 4 cups shredded Colby & Monterey Jack cheese
- salt & pepper
- 2 1/4 cups Fritos corn chips, crushed
- Adjust oven rack to upper-middle and lower-middle positions and heat oven to 450 degrees. Lay tortillas on 2 baking sheets, coat lightly with cooking spray, and bake until slightly crisp (12 minutes). Cool slightly & break into bite sized pieces. Move top oven rack to middle position.
- Heat butter in Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Cook onions, chiles, and cumin until lightly brown (8 minutes). Add tomatoes and cook until most of the liquid has evaporated (10 minutes). Stir in flour and cook 1 minute. Add cream & broth can cook until thickened (2-3 minutes). Stir in chicken and cook until no longer pink (4 minutes). Off heat, add cilantro and cheese. Stir until cheese is melted. Season with salt & pepper.
- Scatter half of tortilla pieces in 13 x 9 baking dish set on rimmed baking sheet. Spoon 1/2 filling over tortillas. Scatter remaining tortillas over filling and top with remaining filling.
- Bake until filling is bubbling (15 minutes). Sprinkle Fritos evenly over top and bake until Fritos are lightly browned (10 minutes). Cool casserole 10 minutes. Serve.