Saturday, October 11, 2008

Like I need another hobby...

Well, I got a new hobby, needed or not. Here's the book that Jamie has been touting for months. Michelle sent me the book and, now, I think I must make homemade bread...



So, despite not owning a dough bucket or a pizza peel (yet), I jumped right in and made my first batch.

Now, it needs to rise for awhile... in the improvised dough bucket. To prevent an explosion of sorts, I did poke a few small holes in the lid. We'll try actually baking some tomorrow. (The book suggests letting it sit in the fridge over night~ especially on the first go of bread making...)
We're all rather optimistic. Stay tuned for a verdict...

3 comments:

Mom to the 6th said...

I'm curious! We were just talking about me making homemade bread, so you will have to let me know the outcome! I will have to buy the book!

jamie said...

That's a perfect container! Next time, save yourself a step and just mix it in the container. The sponge is so soft, you can mix it by hand in a jiff. Soon, you'll be able to make the basic recipe without the book. And trust me, you can't mess it up. I've tried. Too much water, too little water, table salt (ok, that one sucked but no one else seemed to notice), baked too long, baked not long enough (just double toast), left out overnight, too little rise, too long of a rise. And Don wonders why it comes out different each time. :)

Cynthia said...

GOOD LUCK!I went over to Rhonda's and she helped me maek some bread, but so far I haven't found all the right ingredients yet to try it on my own here at home. What I brought home from Rhonda's was a BIG HIT though and I am anxious to try it again one of these days.