Sunday, August 30, 2009

Chili today... hot tamale...

I make this chili all the time. It's very easy and freezes well. (Here's my original post with some variations I made then.)


It looks so colorful & smells so good right from the start!


This week, I just followed the recipe x 2. I have just enough left over to do chili dogs or have for lunch. I really need to triple this one if we want 2 meals out of it. I also use 1/2 black beans and 1/2 kidney beans for some variety. On lazy nights, like Friday, I just put the chili on Frito chips, topped with shredded cheese, onions, and sour cream and called that dinner! Good stuff, Maynard!
Chili Con Carne
1 lb. ground beef
1 cup onion, chopped
3/4 cup green pepper, chopped
1 clove garlic, minced (I use more)
1- 16oz. can tomatoes, cut up
1- 16 oz. can dark red kidney beans, drained
1- 8oz can tomato sauce
2 teaspoons chili powder
1/2 teaspoon dried basil, crushed
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
4-6 servings.
Cook ground beef, onion, green pepper, and garlic until meat is browned. Drain fat. Stir in undrained tomatoes, beans, tomato sauce, chili powder, basil, salt, & pepper. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Cover and simmer about 20 minutes longer.
If using for OAMC: cool, place in gallon bags, and freeze. On serving day, thaw completely. Simmer until heated through and serve.
Hints
Serve with tortillas or cornbread. Top with grated cheese, sour cream, onions.If you prefer a slightly thinner consistency, add more tomato sauce, tomato juice or V-8.

No comments: