Sunday, August 30, 2009

Why, yes... that's a lefse griddle!


Amber introduced my family to the superiority of homemade tortillas. I didn't even like tortillas before I had her homemade version. Mmmmmmm... She made a believer out of me! They're really easy to make and they freeze well. (Word to the wise: make a double batch if you want leftovers...)

And, yes, I use Jason's mom's lefse griddle. It heats to 500 degrees which makes the tortillas cook quickly without sticking. Easy, I tell you, easy!!!



Amber's Tortillas
6 cups flour (white or white/wheat mix)
1/3 cup vegetable shortening (or lard)
1 teaspoon salt
1 Tablespoon baking powder
2 cups warm water
Mix the dry ingredients in large bowl. Add shortening and combine using your hands. When properly mixed there will no clumps. Slowly add water until flour is all Incorporated. Place dough on counter and knead briefly. Leave on counter, cover will bowl, and let rise for 20 minutes. Dough should be easily pliable after rising. Roll out very thin. Cook on hot griddle, flipping as necessary, until both sides have light browning.

No comments: