Monday, August 3, 2009

Fried Green Tomatoes

As long as we're introducing our family taste buds to new veggies, I do not pass any booth at the farmers market. Saturday, I was drawn to the green tomato stall. Hmmmm... The guys assures me that there are many uses for these hard, lime colored orbs. Such as? His examples included fried and relish and then began to repeat himself. I purchased them out of curiosity knowing full well that we would not like them.
At home, my screen free Sunday had to be set aside to allow a recipe search. Turns out, there are 2 million recipes for such a simple food. I decided against cornmeal (didn't want grit) and against egg (really didn't want to chance an "eggy" taste). In the end, I put my own variation on the menu.
Here's the recipe:
That's it. Flour with some garlic and red pepper. Dipped the tomatoes in milk before coating with the flour mixture. Easy. Very easy.
And very, very good! Jason (gasp!) is the only one who didn't really like them, although Rhys would have left out the red pepper...

3 comments:

Cynde said...

Those look YUMMY!!! I have some green maters on the vine . . . maybe I should give it try.

Wendy said...

hmmm, I'm not too sure about this one. :)

jamie said...

Those look yummy! Send me the recipe. In the Pacific Northwest, its learn to deal with green tomatoes or forget about tomatoes altogether since our season is so short.